1.05.2006

York State Pride, in tee-shirt form!

At the Belmar Bar in Binghamton today, I ran into a man with a fantastic tee-shirt. Similar in design to the famous "Ithaca is Gorges" tees, this one read: "Binghamton is Tierrific." I immediately asked him where in the world he got it and he informed me it was bought off of www.newyorkoldschool.com.

When I returned home today, I checked out the site. The company, New York Old School, is an Albany-based group that designs and prints their own shirts, focusing on Upstate pride. Some examples include:

Rochester is Photogenic
Albany is Eggciting
Woodstock is Peaceful
Niagara Falls is Energizing
Seneca Falls is Liberating
and
Buffalo is Neighborly
This doesn't even exhaust the stock, which also include number shirts displaying all of the Upstate area codes. The group, displaying their true York State Pride also have a blog dedicated to Upstate trivia. For example, did you know that the hydro power from Niagara Falls used to light the Buffalo Pan-American Exhibition was the first long-distance transmission of electricity? Or that Binghamton's home-town hero, Rod Serling was not only the creator and host of The Twilight Zone, but also wrote "Planet of the Apes"? Obviously, this is a most excellent company and I plan on ordering my Tierrific Tee as soon as I can.
Posted by Jesse

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what about Syracuse... hmm let's see.

Syracuse is... Salty? (no that doesn't work)

Syracuse the forgotten Middle child? (no, not good either)

Snowy Syracuse? (true but boring)

Pretty sad when a hip clothing designer can't come up with a slogan either, just a lame syracuse with NY state map for an "a".

Any other ideas? We need a cool retro T that I can sport while I blog about central NY.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what about Syracuse... hmm let's see.

Syracuse is... Salty? (no that doesn't work)

Syracuse the forgotten Middle child? (no, not good either)

Snowy Syracuse? (true but boring)

Pretty sad when a hip clothing designer can't come up with a slogan either, just a lame syracuse with NY state map for an "a".

Any other ideas? We need a cool retro T that I can sport while I blog about central NY.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is a shame. I bet they racked their brains for a while over this one. How about:

"Syracuse is Central"

Anonymous said...

I kind of like Syracuse is Salty.
But if the Albany one gets the Egg, could we not have a Carrier Dome pun? Like "Syracuse: Master of it's Dome-ain"?
I'm just throwing things out there, people.

Anonymous said...

Well, the Rochester one plays on the major industry in town, Kodak (Rochester is Photogenic), so Syracuse's could make a pun on Carrier Air Conditioners...

Syracuse is Chilly

Syracuse is Frigid

Syracuse is delightfully below room temperature.


On second thought, I kinda like Syracuse is central.

Anonymous said...

Syracuse is Fair.

Syracuse is Orange.

Syracuse is high concentrations of mercury in Lake sediments.

Anonymous said...

>>"Syracuse is Central"<<

and "Syracuse: Delightfully Below Room Temperature"




I like those two best!

Anonymous said...

Woodstock is peaceful? I seem to recall fire riots a few years back over exorbitant water prices.

Anonymous said...

My new design:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2484/864/1600/salty.jpg

heh

Anonymous said...

Binghamton is a Blown Tire

Anonymous said...

ha, you went to the belmar, you're a 20 something pseudo-intellectual.

Anonymous said...

Well, if I remember rightly, Woodstock '99 (I think that was the water riot one) wasn't in Woodstock. Of course, neither was the original, but it was a bit closer. I have heard though, that the town of Woodstock today is a peaceful little place full of back-to-the-land homesteaders, hippies and your typical upstate folk, living "cheek to jowel." And Joe, yeah, actually I am a 20-something pseudo-intellectual. Though the last time I was there, the only guy in the bar was a drunk old man who spent his whole time shouting into his phone.

Anonymous said...

How about "Serendipitous Syracuse.....Discover" ? I don't know....I'm new to this. : )

Anonymous said...

balogh, if the stars were NaCl molecules, i'd be sold ;o)